Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hello Everyone!

The more I spend time with Patti, the more she reminds me of Bernard - which is a little strange, since they are completely different kinds of dogs, and different genders. They remind me of each other because they are A) weird B) they love me. Patti has decided that she wants a bed (how does she even know that dog beds exist?) so she tries to lay on mine. However, mine is surrounded by a mosquito net, and going under the mosquito net continues to elude Patti. Therefore, she lays on top of the net, on the bed. It is extremely silly. She still sleeps outside, but occasionally I let her in the bed during naptime (naptimes are important in Malawi). If anyone wants to send a bed to Patti, she would really appreciate it. Thank you to Mary Ann & Rich for sending Patti some treats, flea meds, and bones!

In other news, the last day I was in Mzuzu after the end of GAD camp, I shaved my head. I had been thinking about it for awhile, and was [maybe] planning to wait until IST (there is a girl in my group w/a shaved head so I figured hey, leave it to the experts) but my hair was driving me crazy all week at camp so I finally committed. It cost me $2. I have pictures but my phone network hasn't been working, but as soon as they do, they'll be online. I have to say that it looks really good, and it is way easier to manage- especially considering that I bathe in a river.

My first three months are over! So now I am an even more real volunteer. I feel like I am about to get really busy... I have been meeting with community based organizations in my village, and other various committees. I am on the Board of Trustees of the East Rumphi Youth Network (which is going to be AMAZING) and there is going to be a lot of work to get it off the ground. And one of my environment volunteer friends should be visiting my site soon so we can get my health center's garden underway. Then IST (in-service training) with my counterpart, and it will be great to see my training group again and make a 6 month action plan with Laston. I am really excited with how things are going. I will keep you in the loop everytime I have internet access!

Thanks to everyone whom I have received letters and packages from recently, you have no idea how much they mean to me!! My post office is so small (smaller than my house) that sometimes I suspect that I am the only person getting mail there, but whatever it takes to give Isaac (the postmaster) a job. We both thank you!! Keep in touch!!

1 comment: